On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Dean Staff wrote:

> On 31 Jan 2001, at 13:41, Rob Adams wrote:
>
> > Can someone point me to a how-to for doing the above, going to change
> > workplace to e-smith but current mailboxes are on a seperate sendmail
> > configed RH7.0 box. (with a hole poked by ipfwadm for port 25)
>
> If you're looking for a book, Running qmail by Richard Blum,
> published by Sams has a whole section on migrating from Sendmail to
> qmail. But it generally assumes your using the same machine, just
> switching MTA's.

I've never seen the book, but almost everyone on the qmail list who had
seen it said that it was too BSD specific. So be careful. An excellent
qmail resource is Dave Sill's "Life with qmail":

    http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html

> I'm going to be doing the samething once the official release of 4.1
> is announced, and have come to the realization that while it may be a
> bit time consuming, the easiest route is to recreate all the accounts
> from scratch on the new server. That way everything starts clean.
>
> Mind you, e-smith does have an upgrade installation option...Does
> anyone know if this only works on a previous e-smith install, or can
> you "upgrade" a pre-existing Red Hat 6.x/7 install?

Upgrades work for previous installations of e-smith only.

PS DISCLAIMER (I reviewed the table of contents for the publisher
before the book was released. I warned them then that it was too BSD
specific).

--
Regards
Peter

"If you kill all your unhappy customers, you'll only have happy ones left"