Darrell

My apologies. I did in fact miss that. I did not consider it a big deal,
hence the ;-) The inadequacies of the medium illustrated once again.

Howtos are rarely 100% original works. My point was more that a howto is
most significant in that someone took the time to gather the information and
write it out in a structured format. The author is rarely the originator of
all or even most of the knowledge contained in the howto, and quite often is
little more than a scribe of what has been put forth by others. Which does
not downplay the importance of the howto or the effort required to create
it, but merely points out that the absence of the author does not
necessarily mean the absence of the knowledge. And that was the real point
-- even if you should decide to abandon e-smith et al completely, it does
not mean the knowledge of the howto is lost. Those who are left behind, if
you'll pardon the phrase, are not without skills.

I am, btw, glad to see you are still hanging about. Your initial post today
sounded much like a farewell address -- some might say a parting shot -- but
somewhat final whatever the labeling of it. Having been on the receiving end
of a terminated vendor agreement in a previous life, I know it can be an
unsettling time. Sanity can sometimes come under serious attack, and
depending upon the particulars of the individual circumstance things can
look quite dreary and the emotions jump the fence. But, as my wife likes to
say (because The Fifth Element is one of her favorite movies, and she does a
dead on imitation of Gary Oldman as Zorg), "What doesn't kill you, makes you
stronger." And my mother was right when she taught me that it is not the
good times that define a person, nor the frequency or severity of the bad
times, but rather how graciously one is humbled by the good and how humbly
one is gracious through the bad.

Do hope you hang in there and continue to work the e-smith mine. Things have
a way of working out, often in unexpected ways. In my situation that I
mentioned above, I ended up going back to the same company less than a year
later, not as a contracted vendor but as a manager. Go figure.

Scott