Thanks,

> > Reason being, I would like Arkeia clients to be able to connect to an =
> > Arkeia Server (Daemon) running on an e-smith box.
>
> serveronly mode is (as documented in the manual) only for use on
_INTERNAL_
> networks. The mode was designed for use on internal networks where some
> other machine is providing firewalling.

Understood and is happening.  The box in question is inside a firewall and a
www server outside the firewall.  And I just wanted to make sure that once
the firewall access and port forwarding is in place, I was not being held up
by any blocking on the internal machine (e-smith).  So I can use this
internal machine to backup the external machine.

> The packet filters are disabled and all machines on the same subnet are
> treated as "local" and thus allowed access to services such as SMTP,
> Samba, etc.
>
> Public machines should all be configured in server-gateway mode,
potentially
> with an unused "local" interface. And yes, other modes have been
discussed.

I have done this to another e-smith machine outside the firewall running
e-smith and as a mail machine only.  And to allow this machine to accept
SMTP connections from machines behind the firewall, I added a new local
network of say 200.0.0.10 that is the IP of the firewall and gave a subnet
mask of 255.255.255.255 and used the default route.  This has allowed all
masq'ed SMTP connections coming out of the firewall (200.0.0.10) to be
accepted and if I assume correctly this mail machine is now safe?

The only machine it trusts apart from itself is the one machine 200.0.0.10?
And if that was compromised - well the mail would be of less a concern
anyhow.  :)

Cheers,
Richard.