Richard,

> Try VMWARE it is great.   I could construct a complete dummy network of
> severs and clients.  Live and local - test VPN, firewall, security and god
> knows what else.

I'll join you in praising VMWare.  We have a number of licenses here
at e-smith and use it extensively for testing.  For instance, has
anyone ever wondered (maybe you haven't ;-) how I get the screen shots
for the installation sections of the user manual?

The answer is that I install the e-smith server into a VMWare window
on my Linux desktop and then take screen shots of that window at
the appropriate time.  (Usually I use the Gimp tool to acquire the
screenshot, and then crop it to remove window decorations and other
nonessential screen components.)

All of my e-smith manager screen shots are also shot from a browser
window that is accessing the e-smith server running in the VMWare box.
It allows me to easily create my sample environment with Fred Frog
and friends. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you haven't
been through the manual, have you?  :-)

So yes, it's a *great* tool for testing and other work.

At my previous employer, Linuxcare, we had a number of people who had Linux
desktops, but then used VMware to run some version of Windows so that
they could use Windows applications and not have to dual boot. (The
great thing was that whenever Windows would blue-screen, you just
killed off the window, and restarted another VMware session. No reboot
of the actual machine.(although you *are* rebooting the virtual
machine.))

My 2 cents,
Dan

--
Dan York, Director of Training        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ph: +1-613-751-4401  Mobile: +1-613-263-4312 Fax: +1-613-564-7739