Turns out a Microsoft solution fixed my e-smith server :)

"Microsoft TechNet Knowledge Base Article 000-00001
When all else fails reboot the server."

Everything working now.

The interesting side note on this was that I had thought I was remotely
rebooting the server on several other occasions after my upgrades just to be
sure everything re-started properly. This was not the case...

<life-lesson>
The problem was that my server was not responding to the (shutdown -r now)
command. Turns out this is a relatively common problem. I issued a simple
(reboot) from the command line and everything came back up 100% after the
reboot.
</life-lesson>

There was probably nothing wrong with the server but since I was using the
wrong commands for the chroot environment (service
start/stop/restart/status) etc. I hadn't properly re-started the named
service.

Thanks to Charlie and Jelmer for their help.

Justin.