Yes, I used to work for a company with offices in Istanbul. My first trip
over in Nov 95 had the exchange rate at about 55.000 TL, and my last trip in
Jun 98 it was at 260.000 TL. I had to change $500(US) into Lira on that trip
-- quite a sizable stack of paper!

And yes, $200(US) per month would not work in Turkey. We were paying a
Graphic Artist, who would make about $35.000(US) per year here, only
$125(US) per week! So the economy of paying $200(US) per month for a Mitel
server just does not make sense.

We had a similar problem trying to replace one man running a film developer
with an automated unit. The new unit was $80.000(US), whereas the gentleman
doing it manually was paid $20(US) per week. Takes a long time to justify
the expense! (Lest anyone think it was a case of the evil Americans paying
low wages and raping the foreign labor, we were only marketing partners with
the company -- all salaries for local employees were set by the local
owners.)

Scott