> > Is it feasibly possible to remove all user account authentication from
the
> > shadow file system and put it into LDAP or authenticate against MySQL
using
> > say PAM.
>
> I imagine so.
>
> > Would that not make user and permission handling =much= easier?
>
> You'd have to explain why you think that. I think that it would be pretty
> close to equivalent.

Just thinking.  :)  If one could have all groups and users in a database
with constraints and referential checking of whatever "company policy" one
may have on project access for users.  I am thinking of enforcement of use
cases and the ability to perform audits and what not.

I have a feeling that SQL and php =could= be easier to work with than shell
scripts.  Or does this equate to a reduction in sophistication?

I have just written a long algorithm for the creation of user accounts, file
spaces, ftp only accounts with chroot'd filespaces, GID's and sticky bits
for our client projects we host (on RH71).  There is a lot of cmoding this,
chgrping that and creating this.......order of operation....

I thought to myself - could this be done (managed) in an easier fashion?
That is also portable from system to system?  From vanilla RH to Mitel SME,
etc.  Or have some type of inheritance from a SME server to our vanilla RH
boxes?

I take it that the scripts Mitel use have been fairly well battle tested
now?  Should I focus my energies more on adaptation of those as opposed to
wandering off on some other tangent?

Cheers,
Richard.