On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Darrell May wrote:

> Gordon Rowell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > OK, but if we provide a [netlogon] share when an NT server is also
> > providing the equivalent share, nasty things happen.
>
> Gordon, is it not correct that any share is only reachable in combination
> with the logon server/netbios name:  \\server\share

Yes, that is true, but that is only part of the story.

> Just because a share exists you can't automatically connect to it without
> providing all the above information.  Matching share names on a network
> should never cause a problem as the server name will (ok should) never be
> the same.  There are many cases where multiple PDC servers (separate
> domains) and workgroup servers are active on the same LAN.  Large school
> campuses, large corporate clients, etcetera.

That is true. But do you know for sure that more than one of these servers
has a netlogon share, and that that doesn't cause a problem?

> IMHO if something nasty is happening it is because the client is
> incorrectly configured.

I don't know about you, but I don't know all the ins and outs of the
netlogon protocol. I think that what Gordon is concerned about is clients
popping up and saying "who has a netlogon service?", and then using the
netlogon service of the first server to respond with a "yes". In a network
of mixes samba and NT servers, guess who answers first?

Given Gordon's concern, the best thing for e-smith/Mitel to do is the safe
thing, which is only to offer the netlogon service if it will be used for
domain/workgroup logons. If some unusual circumstances renders this
unsuitable, a custom template is an easy way to provide an alternative
configuration.

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739