On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 06:07:35PM -0800, Greg Zartman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> I believe this fragment should simply read:
> domain admin group = domain_admins  (or something like that)
>
> This mirrors the current Microsoft Networks service.

So if gregz and gordonr are nominated as local admins, we would need to
 - create a group "domain_admins"
 - add gordonr and gregz to that group
 - specify the group on the RHS of "domain admin group"

We have a chicken&egg problem there...

We have toyed with the idea of a "sysadmin" group which could be used
for this sort of thing. We use it for the sudoers file, for example.

> [...]
> After doing this, things are working better (at least the
> software guys aren't complaining), but now I'm not "standard" with the rest
> of the e-smith folks....

Please send me (directly) your updated script - it was stripped when
you posted it to the list.

> 3) I haven't had a chance to study all of yours and Darrel's discussion
> today, but I do what to say that in my opinion the smb.conf file should be
> as simply as possible.

Absolutely. I want to remove all comments, and default values.

> [...]
> Here is how I think the smb.conf file should look:
>
> [11workgroup]
> workgroup = workgroup
> [...]

We are close to that now - there are still some commented out parameters,
but I will be hiding those in a moment. I have not added the [11workgroup]
comments as there is a one-to-one match between parameters and fragment
names.

> [...]
> Incidentally, I feel that I could quite easily write a perl script that
> could verify if a given fragment duplicates a default value in samba.  I
> think it would be quite easily to structure this as a function that could be
> called when the fragments are being expanded.
> [...]

If you write such a script, please provide it and we can add it to the RPM
the new RPM and let me know if you see any default parameters which can
be dropped.

Gordon
--
  Gordon Rowell                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  VP Engineering