Since we are on the Samba issue, I'd like to mention something that I am
currently working on.  I've put together a utility to automatically archive
a specific windows client share to the server on a regular basis (e.g,
nightly, weekly, monthly)

This utility ties together three existing Samba applications (smbmount,
smbtar, and smbclient) to scan the Samba network for "online" client
machines with a share called backup.  The utility then archives the contents
of this backup share to a designated ibay on the server, provided sufficient
hard drive space is available.  The utility allows the admin to set an upper
limit on how much server drive space should be allocated to storing client
archives so that the archive applet doesn't blindly fill up your hard drive.

I am looking for a little input.

1) Would this be of any use to anyone but me?  If so, I'll work towards
getting it in an RPM format.

2) The utility utilizes a small configuration file.  Where is the best place
to locate the file on the SME/E-smith server,  /etc ?

3) I'm going to setup a cron process to run the applet on a nightly basis.
Does anyone see any issues with this?

4) Would a graphic interface be of any value?  I'm thinking of a server
manager page or something.

Thank you.

Regards,

Greg Zartman