I was browsing the devinfo mailing list archive and noticed
the discussion of testing network operations.  If you have
a reasonable sized machine running Linux or Win2k to act
as the host, you can use VMware (http://www.vmware.com)
to create several virtual machines which are perfect for network
testing, rebuilding kernels, etc.   The VMware framework provides
virtual NICs (up to 4, I think) which can be bridged to your real
network or limited to within the VMware host.  Thus you can
set up one holding an SME server with one bridged, one host-only
NIC, and one or more holding windows clients and you emulate
a remote LAN.  Do it again on the same or a different VMware host
and you have the place to test VPN connections.   VMware isn't
free but there is a timed beta available and it is cheaper than a roomful
of test boxes.