I think I understand the inconsistent behaviour, caused by the various
bits of inconsistent documentation. I have roaming profiles working
with e-smith-samba-1.1.0-29 on one test network, but unreliably on
another. Quite infuriating behaviour.

I believe Darrell is correct, and we should make the following changes:

- Reinstate the [Profiles] share

- logon home = \\%L\%U\._winprofile

- logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

- Change /home/e-smith/files/samba/profiles to be
    drwxr-xr-x    3 admin    shared       4096 Nov 30 16:31 profiles

- Create directories under /home/e-smith/files/samba/profiles/ for each
  user, owned by that user

If we really want to share 9x and NT/2K/... profiles, we could symlink
~user/home/_.winprofile to /home/e-smith/files/samba/profiles/$user
However this means that the profiles are no longer protected from normal
users as "Show All Files" means you can follow the symlink.

Note: The old doco which referred to %N as _this_ server is wrong. %L
refers to _this_ server and %N refers to the local NIS server. I guess
Samba defaulted %N to %L in some versions.

Gordon
--
  Gordon Rowell                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  VP Engineering