I'd like to relate my experience with blades and see if I am missing
anything.  Ok, here goes:

1) blades get downloaded into /var/cache/e-smith/blades/packages
2) blades are rpms that checks for depencies
3) blades are installed like any other rpm
4) blades are identified as being installed just like rpms
5) blades do not have to be downloaded via the server-manager Blades
   panel.  You can get them via ftp to e-smith.org directly.
6) blades may be copied and installed to servers just like you are
   installing a standard rpm.
7) blades once installed do not have to be saved or placed in
   /var/cache/e-smith/blades/packages
8) blades installed manually correctly show up in the server-manager
   Blades panel as being installed.
9) blades do not have to be installed release 1 then release 2.

For instance, here are the current update blades:

SMEServer-5.0_Update1-04.noarch.rpm
SMEServer-5.0_Update2-07.noarch.rpm
e-smith-base-4.6.1-09.noarch.rpm
e-smith-base-4.6.1-17.noarch.rpm
e-smith-blades-1.0.0-19.noarch.rpm
e-smith-email-4.6.1-05.noarch.rpm
e-smith-lib-1.6.0-11.noarch.rpm
e-smith-mod_ssl-1.8.0-05.noarch.rpm
e-smith-release-5.0-03.noarch.rpm
e-smith-release-5.0-04.noarch.rpm
imap-4.7-1mdir8es.i386.rpm
obtuse-smtpd-2.0-29.i386.rpm

Yet you do not have to install all of these.  Just like standard rpms you
only need to install the most current releases to bring yourself up to
date:

e-smith-base-4.6.1-17.noarch.rpm
e-smith-blades-1.0.0-19.noarch.rpm
e-smith-email-4.6.1-05.noarch.rpm
e-smith-lib-1.6.0-11.noarch.rpm
e-smith-mod_ssl-1.8.0-05.noarch.rpm
e-smith-release-5.0-04.noarch.rpm
imap-4.7-1mdir8es.i386.rpm
obtuse-smtpd-2.0-29.i386.rpm
SMEServer-5.0_Update2-07.noarch.rpm

10) The above blades may be added and a custom iso built (difficult but
    I've done this) that installs an up to date, ready to go SME Server
    at install.

This is from my own testing and experience.  Did I get anything incorrect
or am I missing any crucial blade issue?

Also, is a 'How To Build a Blade' document coming?

--
Darrell May
DMC NETSOURCED.COM