I am involved with a project called Rolodap.   Rolodap is a full
featured contact manager that uses OpenLDAP and php.

It allows users to create and modify contact entries, collect these in
address "books", use them to auto-fill addresses in emails, produce word
processor mailing lists, do group emails,  provide a very fast search
and lookup feature, etc. etc..  We use it in a 100 person firm and users
really like it. A principal feature is that though each user can have
one or more individually defined addressbooks, there is a common
underlying database and updates to a contact in any addressbook update
all the addressbooks.

The project is at http://rolodap.sourceforge.net and there is a demo at
http://www.dewittross.com/rolodap .

We know very little about e-smith (I run e-smith at home).

We have had a couple of enquiries about running Rolodap on e-smith.

Is there an e-smith developer out there that might be interested in
turning Rolodap into a package easily installed on e-smith?  It might be
a nice additioon for a business using e-smith as its server.  We could
provide help on setup and configuration, but someone would have to do
the work to turn it into an easy user installed package, create the
templates, etc.

Regards,
John Lederer