Just to put in my $0.02 worth (heavily over-valued actually),
I've been happy with the direction so far.

<opinion>
I have always seen this server as the "Swiss Army Buzzsaw" of Linux
distributions, and really enjoy the ability to do the "add, subtract,
modify, delete" routine for any and all functionality that I could ask
for, due in large part to the great HowTo's of the devinfo community.

As far as the addition of SME as an overlay to another distro, if you
change the case too much, the blades don't fit.  I'd like to see it go
more towards the other side - a solid and robust base distro/framework
that allows the end user to set up whatever combo of mix-n-match tools
required to provide the functions they need on that server.

<idea>
(Hmmm, can we add a pick and choose list of preconfigured base server
types/blades/whatever during install?  Let's see, one from column A,
and two from column B.  Can I get eggrolls with that?  - ;>)
</idea>

You want a LTSP server or a Manhattan Classroom or a firewall/mail/web
server, just add the right combo of blades.  Just be smart about how
much you expose on the outside interface!

The 2.4 kernel non-support of PPTP, IPSEC, RealAudio, H323, ICQ, etc.
is an important issue for the use as a gateway.  Those masq modules
WILL eventually be ported from 2.2 and we can move up to it then.

Keep it compatible with RH base distro, for ease of building new
functions, but keep it stable.  It's a unique product and a unique
concept that actually IS what the whole Open Source thing is about -
I really **CAN** have it my way!

</opinion>

Thanks to each and every one of you, Mitel or not, who contribute
in ANY way to this excellent project!!

65% M$ free, and counting....