Darrell

You are correct. A fresh install fits on the floppy, but a lively production
system generates more data than the boot disk can handle. There is only
about 5K of free space on the normal boot disk and it doesn't take long to
chew that up.  If the entire configuration file (or substantial portions of
it -- and/or accounts, et al) is written to ks.cfg -- especially since the
entries are written as full db command lines -- that 5K vanishes quickly.

I believe we were the ones who requested the reinstallation boot disk. Our
purpose was simple: Provide a boot disk that would put a system right back
on the network, without manual configuration. The intent was to be able to
restore a crashed server quickly by 1) booting the reinstall disk, and 2)
going to a workstation and executing a restore.

It seems the process is not quite refined enough, as it attempts to
save/restore far more settings than are required for this purpose.

Also, in comparing the ks.cfg from the normal boot disk to the ks.cfg from
the reinstallation boot disk, I see that there are far more settings in the
reinstall version. Question to Mitel: Is this necessary, or simply an
oversight? The 5.x version of the reinstall ks.cfg looks like the old 4.x
version, which looked like the 4.x boot disk ks.cfg. I would have thought
the 5.x reinstall ks.cfg would look more like the 5.x boot ks.cfg.

Scott