On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 12:05:00AM -0500, Rich Lafferty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 07:13:53PM -0500, Charlie Brady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > [Seems strange to me that ntop would need a compiler at runtime. Still, if
> > it does, it should be listed as a dependency in the rpm spec file.]
>
> It's Worse Than That, Jim.
>
> The RPM is installing a shell script into /usr/sbin/ntop. The top bit
> of that shell script reads:

(Wow, is "make install" ever broken. The authors of ntop apparently do
not understand how manual pages WORK. man/man1/intop/intop.1? But I
digress.)

Ah, I see the problem. The spec file (is that yours, Charlie, or did
it come with ntop?) bypasses "make install" completely -- but "make
install" is installing ntop from SRCDIR/.libs/ntop, which is an ntop
perversion of an autoconf perversion. :-( SRCDIR/ntop is part of the
build process, not ntop itself. Dumb dumb dumb.

  -Rich

       Technical Support Engineer, Network Server Solutions Group
    Mitel Networks, Ottawa, ON                        (613) 751-4404