On Wednesday, February 13, 2002 Charlie Brady wrote:

> > True, but in order for the system to know that the policy involves the
> > installation of various php modules, we need an e-smith version of that
> > module to set the policy in a template fragment or in the configuration
> > database, as Dan Brown alluded to in his earlier post.
>
> I don't completely follow you - not sure what you mean by "the system",

The server, the OS, whatever. :)

> Yes, if an application needs some PHP configuration which isn't in the
> standard template, then you need to add some new configuration template
> fragments. But you would have that problem even if you were hand editing
> php.ini.
>
> I don't see it being a problem if someone needs to create an
> e-smith-php-oracle RPM to support an application or set of applications.
> Or, for a one-off, they need to create a custom template fragment. That's
> just a different way of attacking php.ini with an editor (expand-template
> plus the template fragment collection is just a text editor - you can add,
> delete or change any line in the standard configuration file by using
> custom template fragments).
>
> > Isn't this necessary, or is there another way around it, assuming we
> > will be using RedHat stock PHP rpms (when they get released)?
>
> RedHat's RPMs doesn't care whether a configuration file is edited using a
> text editor or created from a template, so the php.ini which comes with
> the RPM isn't very relevant. It does mean that there is some maintenance
> load in keeping the templates up to date when PHP changes, but you have
> that when upgrading a system anyway.

The standard RedHat PHP module rpms edit php.ini directly to indicate that a
particular module is installed and available.  This step would need to be
replaced with a template fragment, a config database entry or some other
method to document the new "policy" change.  I'll try to explain myself a
little better next time. :)

David M. Brown
Frick, Frick & Jetté Architects
[EMAIL PROTECTED]