Hi Dan,

> No, the mechanism to download the blade from our network operations center
> only runs on SME Server V5 or later.

  :( Is the code GPL to addapt it for others needs?

> >   I'm sorry Dan but I don't agree here. The "blades concept" was one of
> > the main point of SME server (the other one was service link). As I see
> > it is a wonderfull toy BUT the only ones playing with it are you. I
> > didn't expect Mitel to support those blades I just expected them to tell
> > everybody how to play too.
>
> I'm with you.  We understand that. We know.  Believe me, it's something we
> want to change.  We know that.

  Perfect

> >   I'm not really trying to replace the blade concept. I'm just giving an
> > alternative. Surely most people will use the standar blades but some
> > people might like to have "more freedom". As the upd file is so easy to
> > make I don't consider this a double effort (I bet you a blade is not
> > particulary easy to make or you wouldn't have delayed so much).
>
> Yes, I understand.  I don't have any issue at all with you working on this.

  This was a very important issue for us. We don't want to imposse a standard
to anybody, we didn't want Mitel to change the way they did things, we just
had this done, used it internally and thought it might be a good idea to
share with others,

  As it gave a very basic functionality we didn't expect it to compete with
blades. As they were supposed to be so easy to make, we didn't expected
developers to think this was a waste of effort.

  Actually we use it for ourselves. We have installed our e-smith-monitor
package in upd format many times and it's just great to see it running right
away.

  This new situation is going into a much more "complex" solution. The
concept is more or less the same but what was once a simple way to install
updates or custom work is evolving into a "offline" & "unplugged (from Mitel
I mean" blade system.

> >   It took me an hour to explain how to make an upd file and make the
> > announcement. Sure it needs some polish (thats what this list is for BTW)
> > and I really beleive they can both coexist, one for "Oficial" updates the
> > other for "custom" updates.
>
> Yep.

  I'm glad you agree :)

> >   What is a RPM wrapper? :'(
>
> As I understand Charlie's note, he is just talking about a second RPM that
> specifies what other RPMs are required and also executes any post-install
> scripts, etc.

  OK, I see. Well, hope you get that now really famous howto out soon :)) I
promise we will give support for blades too through our panel :)

  Regards.

--
Jaime Nebrera - [EMAIL PROTECTED]