-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Blakely [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, 30 April 2002 3:44 p.m.
To: 'Charlie Brady'
Subject: RE: [e-smith-devinfo] ANNOUNCEMENT - Updated Jabber IM rpm
available

Charlie,

I started looking at just upgrading first but found that because I changed
the client authentication method from plaintext, which had the users
password visible in plaintext in the user.xml file, to zero knowledge
authentication, an authentication system where the credentials are never
stored on the server or transferred over the wire, but the server is still
able to validate the credentials of the client, users were not able to log
back into the jabber server.
The easiest way was to wipe the old install and start again.
The reason I changed the authentication method was I added the ability to
add the server users to the jabber server and even tho the user is emailed a
random password to log in with they can change the password via the client.
The obvious password to change it to is the users server login password, and
I didn't want this visible in plain text for security reasons.

Jon Blakely