yes, it uses ftp for both it's file manager and for it's email rules  -
 not sure why
yet on the email rules as I haven't got that far into the code yet.

and before Sherpath is a real good fit for SME it does need another
authentication method . Pam prefferred.

but several changes that I suggested to the sherpath team were in a new
release several days later so it looks
like they are willing to work with others to make a better product.

And  it looks like it is "skinable"  so I can make it look very much
like outlook for a client if I want to take the time to do it.