Hi Bob

Welcome aboard...

Bob Meyers wrote:

> Pardon me, I am a newbie, I have been lurking here for a while, observing. I
> have noticed a recent panic over taper not working over 4GB.
>
> I have been doing Unix (mostly SCO-Caldera) for over 20 years, only recently
> took up SME. If you guys have stuff that is really mission-critical on SME,
> for backup and disaster recovery you should take a look at one of the
> "supertars". I use Microlite's BackupEdge, www.microlite.com , have for many
> years. It is low cost and works great, tons of features.
>
> Microlite has been ported to Linux for some time now. If you guys know Tony
> Lawrence (might be on this mail list), he can testify about the product
> also: http://pcunix.com/Reviews/supertars.html,
> http://www.pcunix.com/Reviews/backupedgess.html.
>
> BackupEdge is just like a tar, but is a supertar in that it can do all the
> shortcomings of regular tar. Good support.
>
> I will not build a real, mission-critical application server without the
> product. I require customers by it. It pretty much has a simple formula: It
> makes a set of custom emergency boot disks, sets up automatic, nightly
> backups using bit-by-bit verify. With those disks and any nightly backup, I
> can assist a novice customer at complete disaster recovery, over the phone,
> it is that easy. BackupEdge also has an easy interfaces for installing,
> automatic configuration, and admin of all of this, and more features-galore.

I test a large number of backup software for linux both open and close
source..... I think it comes down to personal choice... as with most
things. I choose tapeware for 3 reasons:
1. Low cost
2. Easy installation
3. Features - basically it has everything  I need for backups.

> It is not open source. But it is so complete and feature packed, and
> reliable, I can't imagine someone would need it.

I would strongly recommend avoiding opensource products when it comes to backups and
AV!

> Now, why is everyone scrambling to get into a different anti-virus solution?
>
> And bugs? Who will cast the first stone here and name a system that does NOT
> have bugs?
>
> I have been enjoying, and benefiting by lurking in here, another good
> resource, thanks.

Same as above - personal preference but for me also options!
I have tested RAV, Trend (servicelinks) and antivir on production server
and all run as required.

RAV had some initial bugs with SME (not saying if it was RAV or SME -
don't want start a war!)

Trend also had some issues - Mitel have provide updates for that.

Antivir is an opensource AV - also see a few people using it!

--

Regards
Brandon Friedman