Porting to PowerPC or Sparc would be considerably more difficult, I
imagine. While SME doesn't depend too much on x86 (and where it does,
can easily be modified), it _is_ very much RedHat-dependent. Porting
to Alpha was relatively easy because I could start from the same base
(RedHat 7.1), with binaries from the same sources as x86 RedHat. Of
course I still had to beat some other sources into submission before
they would behave on Alpha, but that's all in the game. Porting to
Sparc would be tantamount to single-handedly reviving the RedHat
Sparc port: I wouldn't recommend it. The situation on the PPC end of
things may be slightly more hopeful, depending on how far Linux/PPC
have strayed from the RedHat path since the Linux/PPC Developers
Release, which was a direct port from RedHat 6.2. But I can imagine
that there would be considerable hurdles on PPC as well, not least
the installer to begin with.
A propos the road leading to the Alpha port: "use the source". All
the source RPMS that I manhandled for this port are included in the
iso. Any changes I made were made through patches to the original
sources, or otherwise clearly commented and traceable.

Regards,
Robert