> A buffer overrun vulnerability in the Apache HTTP server included
> with many popular Web servers enables an attacker to execute
> code on vulnerable machines.

This is over-simplified....  Someone didn't read the bulletin carefully.

    http://httpd.apache.org/info/security_bulletin_20020617.txt

The potential for executing arbitrary code is limited to 64-bit Unix and
Windows platforms:

"In Apache 1.3 the issue causes a stack overflow.  Due to the nature of the
overflow on 32-bit Unix platforms this will cause a segmentation violation
and the child will terminate.  However on 64-bit platforms the overflow can
be controlled and so for platforms that store return addresses on the stack
it is likely that it is further exploitable. This could allow arbitrary code
to be run on the server as the user the Apache children are set to run as.
We have been made aware that Apache 1.3 on Windows is exploitable in this
way."

Due to the time it takes to replace the terminated process (which varies
according to platform), it's still possible to mount a denial-of-service
attack on all other versions.