On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Darrell May wrote:

> [BETA] For testing on non-production servers only [BETA]
>
> http://myezserver.com/downloads/mitel/beta/ProxyPass/
>
> e-smith-proxypass-1.0.0-03dmc.noarch.rpm
> e-smith-proxypass-1.0.0-03dmc.src.rpm
>
> This 'initial release' updates the 35ProxyPass template fragment and adds a
> new server-manager Configuration/ProxyPass panel that both conform to this
> Apache directive:

Darrell, I've noted that you have branched our code (so it's not an
'initial release'), but you have included a tarball in your source RPM
which has an identical name (including version number) as the tarball in
our source RPM, but which has different contents.

[charlieb@sardine SRPMS]$ rpm -qlvp
~development/rpms/SRPMS/e-smith-proxypass-1.0.0-01.src.rpm
-r--r--r--    1 charliebdevelope         2686 Dec 21  2001
e-smith-proxypass-1.0.0.spec
-rw-rw-r--    1 charliebdevelope          949 Dec 21  2001
e-smith-proxypass-1.0.0.tar.gz
[charlieb@sardine SRPMS]$ rpm -qlvp e-smith-proxypass-1.0.0-03dmc.src.rpm
-r--r--r--    1 root    root             3023 Jun 25 21:05
e-smith-proxypass-1.0.0.spec
-rw-r--r--    1 root    root             4442 Jun 25 21:05
e-smith-proxypass-1.0.0.tar.gz
[charlieb@sardine SRPMS]$

As we've said before, that's not the way to do things, for a number of
reasons. What you should do instead is to make a patch and build your
source RPM to include the original tarball and your patch file, and apply
the patch at RPM build time. We have documentated exactly how to go about
that here:

  http://www.e-smith.org/docs/howto/howto_modify_e-smith_interface_rpm.php3

I notice also that you are building your RPM as root. That's an unwise
practice. We have instructions here:

  http://www.e-smith.org/docs/howto/e-smith-interface_rpm.php3

on how to set up an RPM build environment for a non-root account.

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 592 5660 or 592 2122  Fax: +1 (613) 592 1175