On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 10:31:42AM +1000, Greg Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 07:22, Brandon Friedman wrote:
> > [...]
> > First problem is that it requires sendmail?

Be carefil - many packages say they require sendmail when they actually
just require and SMTP MTA.

> [...]
> OpenMail created a whole lot of extra sendmail rules;  email addresses
> of a certain format were OpenMail addresses and were to be handled in
> a different way to (say) UUCP and SMTP addresses.  So receiving
> messages would be challenging -- does anyone know if it is possible to
> define a new transport in qmail?  (The index of "Running Qmail" doesn't
> say anything about it).

qmail only talks SMTP. However, splitting out particular message
destinations is not particularly hard. See the qmail FAQ for how to do
it for UUCP - a similar method can be used for most messages - set up
the appropriate filter in ~alias/.qmail-default

For initial tests, I'd suggest setting up something like:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

and then creating ~openmail/.qmail-default which punts the mail into
openmail using EXT[123...] parts of the address.

> OpenMail would send SMTP messages out via sendmail,  but it didn't use
> any particularly special features -- so that could be easily substituted
> by something else.

If OpenMail calls /usr/lib/sendmail or talks to an SMTP server on port 25,
it should work just fine with qmail for outbound mail.

Gordon
--
 Gordon Rowell                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Director, Engineering