Hi,

> > The way I interpret the GPL is that e-smith must make the source
> > available (on written request for their cost of distribution and
> > within a reasonable period of time) but does not have to make the iso
> > available online and does not have to provide it free.
> >
> > MITEL is required to provide the source on demand, but it could be
> > provided in a variety of less convenient ways and can be at their
> > cost.  I don't think GPL can be used to REQUIRE MITEL to make the iso
> > available free online for the world.  The free (as in cost) iso is a
> > marketing policy choice they have always made.

  Actually, Mitel is required to provide "computer readable" source code of
its GPL binaries to the person it gave or sold the binary, that means it
could be just a bunch o tgz files sent to the buyer under demand. There is no
enforcement to make an iso, nor to make it "public".

> I just found out that a company has a copy of a GPL'ed program, and it
> costs money to get it. Aren't they violating the GPL by not making it
> available on the Internet?
>
> http://www.fsf.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#CompanyGPLCostsMoney

  Once you provide the source to a client, he can do whatever he wants with
it, making it public, selling it, whatever, but he is forced to follow the
GPL if he gives the code to another person.

  Thats it.

--
Jaime Nebrera Herrera
[EMAIL PROTECTED]