There is a development issue after the preamble to set the scene.

Whilst testing 5.6b7 I realised that it now supports Japanese filenames
correctly via samba, if smb.conf is set up for this.

client code page 932
coding system    EUC
character set should be blank.

Setting the coding system seems to be a black art as all the following could
be correct:
EUC, SJIS, HEX, UTF8

On my test server, and with my selection of Japanese files, EUC gave the
correct results. I haven't noticed any adverse effects from making these
changes.. yet. (The actual settings of these values are irrelevant for the
real development issue here)

For testing it was easiest to directly edit /etc/smb.conf but now to
implement it correctly.

I first thought to template it with the new values put into the
template-custom fragments. Then I saw that the current templates read
codepage and characterset from the configuration file, setting the actual
values in the configuration is a good idea.
A custom template is still needed for the coding system, but this would
basically copy character set for example.

Looking at the configuration file there is no entry for these settings, and
I cannot see anywhere in the Server Manager to set them.

Have I missed something?

Does anybody already have a Samba Server Manager Panel ? - as this appears
to be what the template fragments are enabling. (I have searched both the
forums and this list, but I may have missed it)

I think that I should be able to work out how to write a panel to set these
values, if this has not already been done. As it is late on Christmas Eve
here in England I won't be able to start this until after the festivities
have subsided.

Merry Christmas Everyone,
Ian Wells