>       So, just to make sure I understand this clearly:  In spite of
> everything you've (plural, not you in particular, Gordon)
> consistsently told us for over a year, there will _not_ be a
> mechanism for community-developed, unsupported blades?

That's correct. Mitel will not be providing such a mechanism. We will
continue to host contributions on our FTP and web sites, but we will
not be providing an automated method to install unsupported add-ons.

> This is
> somewhat disappointing, in light of the clear, unequivocal, and
> repeated statements that such a mechanism would exist, and would soon
> be well-documented.  I can understand a number of reasons why you
> might make such a decision, but the reversal is somewhat troublesome.

I understand your disappointment.  When we first announced the blades
interface with version 5.0, we had a very grand vision of how it would
evolve.  In our excitement about the possibilities, much of that vision
was communicated by Gordon, myself and others in this and other forums.
Unfortunately, that vision ran straight into the cold, hard reality that
in an economy such as the one we are in today, there is little room for
grand visions that don't translate directly into revenue.

As a commercial enterprise, we have to focus on the needs and wants
of our commercial customers who ultimately enable us to continue
working on this product we love.  As the ranks of those customers have
grown with our continued success, so have the requirements that we in
product management have to address.  When we look at the limited pool
of developer hours we have to work with, we have to make some
extremely tough choices.  Unfortunately, that means that some of our
grand visions have to stay as exactly that.

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan York, Product Line Manager, 6000 Managed Application Server
Mitel Networks Corporation                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]