From: "Michael P. Soulier" Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 12:18 PM

> > Unfortunately, contribs and howto are spread all over hells half acre;
as
> > Ari pointed out.
>
>     If you're referring to the many howtos are aren't linked at all, the
> owners of those howtos are welcome to fix that situation by having us link
> to them.

One issue that I have been struggling with in my mind recently is what to do
after writing a mini-How-To.

Over the Christmas holiday I wrote up four simple guides or mini-HowTos.

Wake-Up-On LAN
http://www.wellsi.com/sme/wol/wol.html

Using CVS and ViewCVS
http://www.wellsi.com/sme/cvs/cvs.html

lm_sensors ( Hardware monitoring )
http://www.wellsi.com/sme/lms/lm_sensors.html

mnwclient ( Intrusion detection and escalation )
http://www.wellsi.com/sme/mnwclient/mnwclient.html

None of these are rocket science, and I have not created any RPMs, they are
just simple guides.

There appear to be (at least) four ways to tell the world about them

Send details to [EMAIL PROTECTED] but I don't know if you are interested
in these 'simple' HowTos?

Post an 'announce' on this list, which I didn't do as I wasn't sure if the
writing of these is really 'a development issue'.

Post details on the forums, either general or experienced. This is what I
did, but I am not certain which forum to use.

The link magically appears on Brian Reads links page
www.abandonmicrosoft.co.uk/abandon/links.html (thank you)

Would it make sense in the future to:

Email an Announce to Devinfo, and place the same information on the
experienced forum.
Send details to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Any guidance from Mitel and the community would be appreciated.

One reason for my uncertainty is that I do not believe any of my guides
match up to the great contribs made by others in devinfo. Also if every
guide is listed on http://www.e-smith.org/cgi-bin/contrib.cgi then it will
become a very large page, unless it is restructured. This is why I can
understand if only 'significant' contributions were listed.

thanks for listening

Ian Wells