On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 10:15:27AM +0200, Nick Warr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I need to recompile the e-smith qmail rpm to add archiving functionality,

You might like to look at doing this through smtpfront-qmail instead
of patching qmail. The only supported way for a user to inject mail
is via SMTP and archiving of cron mail seems a bit pointless.

In Charlie's contrib area you'll find mailfront-0.86-1es2 which allows you
to nominate a log user in /var/service/smtpfront-qmail/env/LOG_RECIPIENT

> but I've noticed that the .spec file contains pre code to look for the qmail
> UIDs and GIDs on the system where the compilation is taking place, even
> though it will not be installed there.

I removed that in 6.0 development, in favour of a "Requires: qmail-users",
which only applies at install time.

> Why is this there?

It's historical. It was there to ensure that the build server UID/GIDs
matched the runtime system. This wasn't really required as the UID/GID
requirements could be done in the %install section, as it is now.

> I compiled the 1.03+patches.19 rpm from the official qmail site,
> and it had no such requirements (doesn't want to install, but
> that's another can of worms).

Well, from Bruce Guenther's site - there are no official qmail patches.

> My problem is that none of our systems use
> qmail except for the e-smith server, and it's obviously no production
> enviroment. Can I remove this requirement from the .spec file without
> problems, or do I need to create the qmail UIDs and GIDs?

See qmail-1.03-08.src.rpm from the 6.0dev/SRPMS area.

Gordon
--
 Gordon Rowell [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.gormand.com.au
 Gormand Pty Ltd  PO Box 239 St Pauls NSW 2031 Australia