There's a nice little program called ddclient (http://burry.ca:4141/ddclient/) that I've used to do this with a couple of different NAT boxes. The configuration is easy, although AFAIK, no one has integrated it into the SME environment. I use it with EasyDNS (highly recommended), but it also supports DynDNS.org, Hammernode, and Zoneedit, among others.

No matter - once you've set up the config file, it's really just a matter of putting it in crontab, or better yet, adding a line to /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth1.exe to run ddclient every time you get handed a different address. (ddclient is smart enough to not even bother updating dynamic DNS if your IP address hasn't actually changed.)

The config file has commented-out examples for a many different NAT boxes, and a couple of generic examples that should be easily modifiable for most any NAT box with a web or telnet interface that will show you the far-side IP address.

At the time I started using it, ddclient was the only Dynamic DNS tool I could find that supported my somewhat obscure cable router. That router, a SohoWare NBG-800, died recently and has since been replaced, but ddclient is so easy and troublefree I saw no reason to change it out for anything that's more tightly integrated into SME. Using ddclient to handle dynamic DNS is a good choice - like SME server, it just works. Maybe I'll get the time someday to wrap ddclient up in a self-installing script for SME and post it on contribs.org, but such packaging is really not necessary.

Dub

Stephen Roach wrote:

maverick wrote:

Here's one for ya...

I'm testing a new cable modem for the local cable company (which I work for)
and it has built-in NAT - which there is no way around. I have setup a
6.0b3 box to run behind it. The problem is, seeing as how it (the
modem/router/wireless AP) runs NAT all of the time, and is giving a DHCP
address to the WAN interface on the SME box, how can I trick SME into still
figuring out the real routable IP of the cable modem and updating this
information (as it changes) with dyndns.org?

Any suggestions appreciated...

Thanks, Matt

I don't use an SME box but I have done it with Redhat using clients from:

https://www.dyndns.org/services/dyndns/clients.html

and this little trick from:

http://checkip.dyndns.org/

Which has worked well for me behind a D-link DSL-500 router using NAT.

Regards, Stephen.