He didn't exactly say that 56k modems contribute nothing to the network.  In
reality, 56k modems do not contribute to the overall health and functioning
of Freenet in general.  Reasons for this should be obvious.

Since Freenet has more pressing issues that affect *all* users (and not just
users on 56k AOL accounts), optimizing access for low-bandwidth users is
just not an immediate concern.

--
Jay Oliveri                                  "In the land of the blind,
GnuPG ID: 0x5AA5DD54                          the one-eyed man is king."