On July 3, 2003 02:40 pm, Ian Clarke wrote:
> If my memory serves me correctly, we currently select the first step in
> routing at random as a security measure.
>
> Translating this over to NGrouting, I suggest that for the first hop in
> a request, instead of using the RTE to estimate the per-key request time
> estimate, we use a random number between the minimum and maximum points
> in the RTE for that node.
>
> This introduces randomness into the first step - but without ignoring
> other issues such as connection failures, QRs, and DNF liklihoods.

What the CP alg does is have a probability of rejecting the route in question
depending on its CP.   It chooses a random number, if the CP is greater than
this the route passes the test.

Current NG code keeps this test as is.  My working copy uses a modified
quicksort that selects the n best routes from the full set of routes.  I do not
let the sort complete on those n routes.  This implies there ordering is
randomized (it 'semi sorted' quicksort is unstable...).  This should suffice to
meet the randomizing requirements of the first step.

Comments
Ed