The next Freenet release, with NGRouting, will be Freenet 0.6 (or 0.7,
that's a whole debate in itself). AFAICS, after talking to oskar,
current Freenet keys include a byte indicating how big the verification
chunks are - it does not, for a CHK, indicate the overall size of the
key. If I am wrong about this, that would be really cool, and I'd love
to see a utility in the command line client that will tell me how big a
CHK is just from the key. However, I think I am probably right. Now,
firstly, prefetch tools, which will be written no matter what we think
of them, need to know how big a file is before transferring it.
Secondly, once we have started a transfer, the rest of the network will
move it even if we disconnect as soon as we see how big it is. So there
is an excellent argument for incorporating an enforced file size byte
(byte because it would be the log2 of the actual size, rounded up). And
it would mean breaking CHK compatibility. If we are going to do that
before 1.0, now would be a good time to do it. So, comments?
--
Matthew J Toseland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]