On Mon, 06 Oct 2003, Ian Clarke wrote:

> Tracy R Reed wrote:
>
> >And now after finding that fred is unable to open /dev/random on my system
> >due to what appears to be a bug (opening for write instead of read) I am
> >now worried about the security of the encryption due to lack of entropy.
> >I'm glad I don't use freenet for anything illegal/unpopular but I'm quite
> >worried for those who do.
>
> This kind of hysteria is totally unproductive and hurts the project.

Partially hysteria.

freenet/crypto/Yarrow.java attempts to write to the random seedfile.
On windows, it's the only way to maintain a random seed.

However, we catch and ignore read_seed errors.  This is wrong and needs
to be a fatal error.

Also, I've traced my freenet process from startup and have not seen a
successful open of /dev/urandom.  On the flipside, tracing
freenet.crypt.Yarrow (the test program) DOES successfully read it.

I think it's a thread creation race with strace that causes us to miss
seeing it.  May be a good idea to refuse to write if we're using
/dev/urandom?  *NOTE: you cannot seed urandom, even as root, only
random*

--Dan