On Sun, 05 Oct 2003, Tim McGrath wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 01:52, Tracy R Reed wrote:
> > The developers need to decide whether freenet is ready for general use or
> > not.  They have led a lot of people to have some expectation of usefulness
> > despite the fact that it is clearly alpha software yet they have a release
> > called "stable". I suspect part of the problem is major bugs in
> > implementation compounded by lack of testing and scientific method in
> > diagnosing bugs (ie. running NGR and older stuff). But others disagree. :)

> is that with my outbound limited to 10KB/S I'm almost getting as many
> hits locally as servers 'globally' - That just sounds *wrong* to me, or
> freenet really is so badly off now that my node is doing better than it
> should be.

Global _AVERAGE_.  It means your server is slightly slower then the
average server out there.  It does _NOT_ mean that you're handling
80%+ of the requests in freenet total!

> Just for the record, this is the jvm from my environment page. I was
> told by people to use this version as the newest jvm has serious bugs.
> If this has changed, and explains my PERVERSE problems, please tell me.
>
> JVM Vendor
>                Sun Microsystems Inc.
> JVM Name
>           Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
> JVM Version
>                         1.4.1_04-b01
>
> Frost, which was working a couple of days ago on an earlier version of
> freenet isn't even able to function AT ALL now. It's finding NO posts,
> at all. It's unable to INSERT my posts, either. I did not upgrade frost,
> only freenet. So, it's freenet not working.
>
> >From network load:
> Global mean traffic (queries per hour):12522.75
> Local mean traffic (queries per hour): 10290.3510404307667
>
> See what I mean?! What's UP with this?! My node is limited to 10KB/S
> outbound bandwidth - is the network seriously this starved for
> information that mine is actually providing the majority of bandwidth in
> my area?!

No.  You are not providing 10k of the global 12k queries.

In fact if your routing table has the usual (50 entries) you're handling
less then 1.6% of the total traffic "local" to you.

> I'm going to give freenet one more month to improve. If I don't see
> improvement AT LEAST to the level that *some* dbr pages start showing up
> in my fproxy bookmarks again, preferably to the level that 0.5.0
> 'functioned' - I'm giving up, deleting my store and I'll find some other
> anonymizing system. THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.

Good luck.

As a side, can we ban "old" unstable builds from the network?
Allow stable >= last release, unstable >= a few builds ago,
experimental >= a few builds ago.  Most of the arguments against
randomly bumping builds is about killing the last release.  But since
then there have been TONS of unstable nodes, all of which are allowed,
and quite a few have lethal network bugs. (Like the opening of millions
of connections and never using them)

Unless we do that already and I'm missing something, but looks like we
are still allowing unstable from 654, and ANY Stable build.

freenet.Version.checkGoodVersion() is what I'm looking into.

--Dan