On October 28, 2003 11:53 pmperspectivehuck wrote:
> So what should we do about this? I propose we should do two things. First
> make sure that it starts taking network resources into account. Meaning
> that in the NGrouting formula when calculating the predicted time, we need
> to consider that given finite bandwidth (as listed in the config file)
> initiating any new request will slow all the others currently processing
> down. This additional time should be added to the request time of the
> request we are making. It currently assumes that new requests never slow
> things down, so making more requests, which are likely to fail, looks more
> favorable than it really is.

What sort of formula are/do you suggest for this?   I do think we need to take
this effect into account more than we do.  I wonder if the ngr estimate is the
right place though.  It estimates the time it will take to get data.  Bandwidth
limits are on outgoing data.  A request is small and will not add much to
outgoing data.  On the otherhand, when we decide to send data (trailers) to
another node, this will slow down all the other transmitting trailers.  This
_is_ something we probably should be taking into account.  It would probably
be better, from and overall perspectve, to queue new trailers if we are using
our bandwidth quota.   This way the current sends would not be slowed down
so the nodes waiting for this data get it faster.   The node waiting for the
queued request would not wait that much longer either - when we start
sending, we have bandwidth to do it faster...

Comments?
Ed