--- pineapple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb: >
> --- Some Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  --- pineapple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > node-private
> > >
> > > Since the ordering of keys in the estimator
> > keyspace
> > > is completely arbitrary anyway the answer is no,
> > but
> > > with some caveats:
> >
> > No, sorry pineapple this won't work.  Freenet's old
> > routing required a closer(a,b,c)->boolean,
> > which has to be globaly defined.  It can be defined
> > serveral ways, you could break each key into
> > two dimensions and take the "new york distance" or
> > count the number of bits different.  For NGR
> > you have to keep it in one dimension.  Reording the
> > keyspace differently at every node would break
> > the routing, since nobody could agree if a node is
> > specailized in an area.
>
> I fail to see how reording the estimator keyspace
> would cause a routing problem.  Isn't the estimator
> graph a "black box" that is not shared with the
> outside world?  Why should it matter to a node how
> another node implements it's estimators?

Try this again:
The routing works by everyone assuming if a node handles key X well and key Y is
"close" to key X,
then it will handle key Y well.  If nobody can agree how "close" X is to Y, because
they've all
reordered the hashspace, they won't agree on where to send keys and specialization
will be
impossible.

Specialization of a node means, that it has become "better" in some area of hashspace
than in
others and that the nodes neighbors know about know this.  If every node has it's own
reordered
hashspace, they can't know about these same areas.

Yes, if you break the routing you can prevent targetted DoS.  Really Stupid Routing
(RSR) is
immune to it.