Okay, so how are we going to not allow them to install the JRE from our
site without installing the software?

If the non-indexable directory was (even trivially) password protected, and the installed knew to request http://[EMAIL PROTECTED] it would be hard to argue that the Freenet project was intentionally allowing people to download software from the site. While people could (of course) get the password with a packet sniffer, I can't see that being a valid reason to attack the project.
Weak protection that makes the intent of the Freenet Project clear (No single file downloads) would likely be sufficient.

-Colin