On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 12:12:47 +0000
Ian Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We suspected that some irritating person might abuse the "new build
> available" system in this way.

The IP of that node has posted constructive stuff to devl, so I see it
sort of like Zlatin's blackhole node: better the issue come up now as
"friendly fire" than when a truly irritating person does something with
it.

> We should probably make this require multiple instances of a new build
> before displaying this message now.

How about distributing the latest build number through a DBR-based
freesite, published by one of the developers? Offhand the only
disadvantage I can see is that updates would be limited to once per day.
OTOH, people who are willing to upgrade multiple times daily when
necessary will most likely discover new builds through other channels
(e.g. this list).

DBR is perhaps too unreliable at this point, but maybe something to
think about in the future.

-s