Ian Clarke <ian at freenetproject.org> writes:

> I am not proposing the release of a "stable" release of Freenet, rather
> a release which is known to be buggy (hence the existence of
> "RELEASE_NOTES" files), but which with compatability will be retained
> while those bugs are fixed (I would say for at least 12 months).  The
> datastore bugs can be fixed without breaking protocol compatability with
> previous node versions.
>
> Ian.

I think that we're not breaking protocol compatibility at all, and
that the "forced upgrades" are just ways for us to find out if our
latest changes to the node actually help the network, instead of a
myriad of ineffective ways we could be testing the node without
subjecting it to the majority of nodes.

Guaranteeing backwards compatibility is just a matter of abandoning
the habit of bumping the last known good build to force upgrades.  If
we can be relatively sure that the current nodes wouldn't be damaging
to a network of perfect nodes (at least as close to perfect as we can
get in 12 months), then we _should_ move to much longer periods
between forced upgrades.

I'd be happy having a 6-12 month window of past nodes working, and
making it a habit to only up the last good build no more than once
every other month (maybe every third would be a good pace), so that
people eventually upgrade, and not huge upgrade requirements, but just
those that are 9-12 months old.

Just an idea,
Thelema