I'm really feeling sorry for the dead horse I've been beating, but it
seems it needs to run a few more laps. That would be mobile phone - the
future of computing is being discussed on another email list I
participate on with the changed context that the mobile phone brings.

In essence, the PC doesn't really know it's dead yet - partly because it
isn't dead *yet* and also because no one really seems to understand how
the market is changing. The mobile phone has forever changed the
landscape - even gaining special mention in the UNESCO report brought
out this year. If anything, the mobile phone is accidentally closing the
digital divide. After all, it's ubiquitous even in nations that are
pretty good at avoiding change (i.e., the developing world).

That said, I have yet to see how disseminating information on bed
netting on the Internet helps with dengue and malaria - and the same
applies to irrigation (which I have been doing myself lately). Bed
netting is a fact of life that many people grow up with - the true
problem is *affording* it. Irrigation is a common sense use of science
which varies upon application, so it doesn't translate well to the web
until you can upload topography and soil type data and assure that the
results are near perfect.

No, maybe simply participating in discussion is the first step. Thus,
the mobile phone. The truth is that the developing world doesn't need
PCs as much as it needs better mobile phones and telecommunications
regulation. Importing PCs into developing nations that have no legal or
other infrastructure for disposal only pollutes developing nations that
need the very fertile soil that is being polluted. The same applies to
mobile phones as well, unfortunately.

What we need to do, IMHO, is stop playing with the tiger's tail if we
have no plans for dealing with the teeth.

--
Taran Rampersad
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.knowprose.com
http://www.your2ndplace.com
http://www.opendepth.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knowprose/

"Criticize by Creating" - Michelangelo
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine." -
Nikola Tesla