> I need some pointers on a situation regarding a domain name
> thnat should not be owned by the current listed admin contact
> in the whois records.
>
> Futermore, it seams impossible to contact this person, either
> by email or by phone.

I am not a lawyer, but my take is that if the current registrant (owner)
registered or purchased the domain name while an employee, using the
employer's money to do so, but using his or her own name as the actual
registrant, without putting the company's name on the domain, then the
domain name belongs to the ex-employee.  The employer probably has a cause
of action against the ex-employee for misappropriating either the domain
name or the money used to procure it, but "title", if there is such a thing
in the case of a domain name, rests with the listed registrant.

What if it had been real estate?  It would belong to the entity listed on
the deed, at least until a court ordered otherwise.

In reality a lot of domain names are "recovered" by lots of different means,
sometimes with the cooperation of the registrar, and sometimes without.  But
the high road would seem to be to find the registrant and convince him or
her to transfer ownership.

Maybe it _is_ impossible to contact the person, but there are many ways to
locate people besides just trying the email address and phone number listed
in the whois.  If this is a U.S. company, they would certainly know the SSN
of any former employee, and with that it's pretty easy to find _most_
people.