On 2/10/2012 12:37 PM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
The main question is "what is right". I used to like KDE, then I got
used to Gnome 2, and I am getting comfortable with Gnome 3 (and the
extensions I added). There are certain features that Mac users would
like to see, and other features that Windows users want. Then there are
some features that old command-line Unix users want. I think it is
difficult to come up with a common ground. That is why we always have
had multiple Windows managers and desktop systems. All have to be able
to work in a client-server Linux/Unix environment.

I want to work backward through this.

First of all, the OS doesn't matter. X11 is its own environment. An X server doesn't need an operating system. The X11 protocol suite was designed with "dumb" X terminals in mind.

This leads to a disconnect. What various OS users want out of their OS is orthogonal to what an X-based desktop should deliver: a consistent, elegant, functional experience. It's funny, but TWM did that better for me than GNOME ever did.

*WHICH* GNOME 2 were you comfortable with? Red Hat's version? Debian's Version? Ubuntu's version? It seems like a silly question, but really, if you put the three side-by-side you can see just how different they are despite being the same thing. This is simply terrible for getting non-technical users to accept Linux on the desktop.

--
Rich P.