>From the perspective of someone who works with both offshored and
outsourced vendors.  Email is the best for accountability,
unfortunately the enterprise client is Notes which sucks harder than
a dyson.

For day to day itteration work, IRC for an office like discussion
(unsecure though) and skype for IM/Voice detail orientated
conversations.  I use adium but will try to get peers over to skype.

>From a design perspective, with dedicated hardware like the  Philips
VOIP8411B which will also plug in to your 19th century lines along
side skype-in/out, the easy progression from im to voice,  easy group
IM etc etc.. I find its the best all round communications solution.

http://gamma.ixda.org/discuss?post=21336