I asked the same question in the late nineties of some architect friends. My
office was located on the same block as the AIA and there were several firms
within a few hundred feet. What they told me was that the idea has ever been
widely accepted as optimal outside of the academic world. In fact it was met
with ridacule when the book was first published. One of them referred to it as
cookie cutter architecture. Certainly not a gauge on the entire profession...
but it is what I was told.