My two cents is:

1. Business goals
2. User's context - UCD "stuff"
3. Those two drive the design
4. The design should drive the technology

A. There will always be the normal circumstances of doing business -
resources, time, etc and the trade-offs that result.

But generally, technology and development effort should not drive
design. I encounter this situation all the time and I'm sure most
others do as well. It comes down to relationship building and selling
the value of the designs we create and the rationale behind the
various decisions that are always made.

Jeff