Grady, the answer is "YES".

Few things:
1. Collaborate w/ Tech on design. Don't over the wall something to
them. You'll get dinged every time.
2. Don't avoid the question of technology during the design process.
By doing #1 you want to make assumptions with engineering buy-in so
that if they pull a "we want to work in Flex, now" on you can point
to previous agreements in the design.
3. If you get great feedback that affirms your design decisions,
document them, get buy-in that everyone agrees and use them
throughout.
4. KNOW the technology. What in the world about Flex would make your
designs not work? Flex creates AJAX/HTML code. It is just a
development environment and server runtime engine.
5. There is a 3rd party here, no? Where's the business? Who has the
business' ear? Are they part of the collaborative process? If not,
why not? If so, why are they agreeing with engineering? And why
haven't you made your case.

To me the question of which comes first, is the wrong question. The
right question is, how do I manage design within the organization.
Any time engineering has that much clout that your design suffers
then you haven't managed the design process well enough to reach
success. ...

... Or, your organization just doesn't really care about design as
much as you want them to.

-- dave