To some degree - yes - But:
"personas will not be able to define how the users are going
to carry out the task or how they are going to approach their goals."

If a UX/IxD is creating personas that do not include high importance
scenarios/narratives/comics of users accomplishing certain goals - then you
have not created a persona.

For those folks on the list that don't know formal methodologies - both
quantative and qualitative, for user research leading to persona creation -
read Steve Mulder's The User Is Always
Right<http://www.amazon.com/User-Always-Right-Practical-Creating/dp/0321434536>...

Persona's are not created by a bunch of UX people sitting around with
product management and business stake holders and just pulling user
segmented persona archtypes out of there butts - and if it is - your not
creating personas and they are almost as useless and dangerous as developing
prototypes, use cases and requirements with no concept of the potential or
existing customer.
Also - read the book - Mike Kunievsky's Observing the User
Experience<http://www.amazon.com/Observing-User-Experience-Practitioners-Technologies/dp/1558609237>.
I get very worried about the state of our community of practice when I hear
strong, bold, assertive statements. I also get worried because there are
methods/practices/processes for doing alot of good stuff - and you aren't
going to get that from reading a couple of articles on B&A and looking at
sample personas. We have methods for doing what we do. It would be like
reading an article in the NEJM and thinking you are qualified to make
assertive statements about heart surgery.

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:10:22, kswang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >From personal experience, personas are useful as a shared reference
> and effective at bringing user-centric design ideas across entire
> team involved in developing the product.
>
> However, personas will not be able to define how the users are going
> to carry out the task or how they are going to approach their goals.

> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://gamma.ixda.org/discuss?post=22531

~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"
will evans
user experience architect
[EMAIL PROTECTED]